Pub heritage is an important issue for CAMRA. Our historic pubs, especially our historic pub interiors, are under continuing threat from inappropriate alteration or even complete closure. CAMRA has developed a National Inventory of the most precious of our true heritage pubs, along with Regional Inventories of other pub interiors worthy of both protection and celebration.
Our historical pubs are a unique and precious part of our heritage and way of life; if you want to find out more about them, please visit our Pub Heritage website.
Historic Pub Interiors - Advice for Planners
CAMRA works hard to safeguard our precious legacy of pub interiors with real historic or architectural importance. Local Planning Authorities play a vital role in protecting this heritage and, in most cases, will share our objectives.
We have therefore compiled advice and guidance for planners and conservation officers concerning historic pub interiors. It covers:
* our system of National and Regional Inventories for listing and describing outstanding interiors
* the position on Listing
* what to look for in a historic pub interior e.g. fixtures and fittings, planform
* internal alterations and extensions - the issues which ought to be considered
* external alterations e.g. signage, smoking shelters
* further reading
* contacts for more information.