Saving Pubs: Advice for Communities
If your local pub is threatened with closure, there's a whole range of things you can do to try and save it: -
- Read through this page and download any resources that you think may help.
- Browse our forum to get some campaigning ideas and advice.
- Contact your local CAMRA branch and see what further advice they can give you.
- If a particular pub is under threat in your area you can also contact your local MP and ask them for help.
- Most importantly, give your pubs support by continuing to visit them on a regular basis!
A high profile active campaign is often the key to saving a local pub threatened with closure, demolition or change of use. The more people who you can get to back your campaign the greater your chance of success. This short advice page provides a number of ideas which your campaign may wish to use.
The detailed guidance on this page takes you through the key steps in running a
campaign to save a local pub, including:
- Securing community support
- Gathering intelligence
- Assessing the pubs viability in the right hands
- Planning your campaign
- Getting publicity
- Working with planners
- Making objections to planning applications
- Considering a community buy-out
- Sources of advice and funding
- How the planning system works in relation to pubs