This policy describes how we collect, use and look after the information you provide us.
The Data Protection Act 1998
At CAMRA we look after your details carefully. We adhere to the requirements of the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and we are registered as a data controller which is looked after by the information Commissioner.
Use of Personal Information
Personal information provided to CAMRA via the CAMRA website, membership forms, survey responses, emails and phone calls will be used for the purposes outline below.
- Administration of membership(s)
- Fulfilment of orders for goods and services requested
- In-house research and statistical analysis
- Communication about campaigns, membership and other activities
- Communication about special offers from carefully selected organisations either by reciprocal offers or by organisations that make a financial contribution to CAMRA's funds.
- Processing personal data for the above purposes may entail sharing your information with employees and contractors. Agreements exist between CAMRA and such parties that there must be no further disclosure of such personal data.
Use of Data and opting-out
As a membership organisation and one that actively campaigns we will be contacting our members. The two key ways we do this are through post and email.
We will send you items relating to your membership ‘contract' as follows:
- Welcome letter with membership card and members' pack
- Your monthly copy of our campaigning newspaper What's Brewing
- Renewal notices and administration letters to do with your membership.
- CAMRA will occasionally contact you with information, via post or email, related to our campaigns as well as issues we feel our members may be interested in.
We do not pass your details to third parties. We may pass on communication about special offers from carefully selected organisations. However these are done in-house and therefore your data is not passed to the third party.
CAMRA has over 200 branches. Each has an elected committee of volunteers. The membership secretary within this branch committee has access to members contact details. They are encouraged to send welcome letters and local information 2 or 3 times a year.
By providing your contact details you are agreeing to be contacted by CAMRA for the reasons detailed above. If at any time you want to alter your preferences or request that CAMRA stop communication with you then you should contact us as described in the section titled Verifying, updating and amending your personal information.
Accessing your personal data held by CAMRA
You have the right to ask CAMRA, in writing, for a copy of all the personal data held about you. This is known as a 'data subject access request'. Upon payment of a fee of £10 we will collate the data requested and send it to you within the 40 day maximum period as stipulated by the Data Protection Act 1998.
Please apply in writing to:
The Data Controller
230 Hatfield Road
Verifying, updating and amending your personal information
We aim to keep your records as up-to-date as possible. If, at any time, you want to verify, update or amend your personal data or preferences please contact us.
This also relates to opting-out of future communication such as e-mail post etc for items other than those related strictly to your membership 'contract'.
Please provide your membership number, surname and postcode to help us track your membership record. You can contact us as follows:
230 Hatfield Rd,
If you wish to opt out from receiving future emails from CAMRA other than those related specifically to the administration of your membership contract then email email@example.com.
Please allow up for 10 working days for us to amend your details.
Alternatively you can amend your contact details online at www.camra.org.uk. If you log in using your username and password you can select to amend details and preferences. Then select personal details and preferences and log in to change your personal contact details. These details need to be changed for both members if in a joint membership. These changes are actioned within 2 working days. It is noted on your record that you chose to change these details and therefore any mistakes are not CAMRA's responsibility.
To read about cookies and how CAMRA uses them, view our cookies information page
Notification of Changes