National Beer Scoring System
Have you ever wondered how CAMRA members select pubs for the CAMRA Good Beer Guide?
The National Beer Scoring System (NBSS) is a 0-5 (0 = No cask ale available) point scale for judging beer quality in pubs. It is an easy to use system that has been designed to assist CAMRA branches in selecting pubs for the Good Beer Guide and also monitor beer quality by encouraging CAMRA members from any part of the world to report beer quality on any pub in the UK.
If you are a CAMRA member, we want you to tell us about the quality of beer in the pubs you visit.
If you are not a member, why not join Europe's most successful consumer organisation?
How do I take part?
To submit your scores please visit http://whatpub.com.
Log into the site using your CAMRA membership number and password. Once you have agreed to the terms and conditions and found a pub on the site, you can start scoring.
You can find out more here http://whatpub.com/beerscoring
What do I need to record?
- Your name & Membership No.
- The date you visited the pub
- The Name of the Pub
- Where the pub is located
- A score out of 5
- The name of the beer
What do the scores mean?
0. No cask ale available.
1. Poor. Beer that is anything from barely drinkable to drinkable with considerable resentment.
2. Average. Competently kept, drinkable pint but doesn't inspire in any way, not worth moving to another pub but you drink the beer without really noticing.
3. Good. Good beer in good form. You may cancel plans to move to the next pub. You want to stay for another pint and may seek out the beer again.
4. Very Good. Excellent beer in excellent condition.
5. Perfect. Probably the best you are ever likely to find. A seasoned drinker will award this score very rarely.
Beer Scoring Videos
The following two short videos explain why beer scores are needed and how they can be submitted.
1. Why you should score your beer:
2. How to submit a score:
Please feel free to share these videos with other members and encourage them to score their beer.
How is the information being collated?
Once beer scores have been submitted online, CAMRA branches can download them and use them to help in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide selection process.
For more information, go to camra.org.uk/nbss