CAMRA Job Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in working for CAMRA.
The Campaign for Real Ale is an independent, volunteer-led not for profit consumer group with 190,200 members. We are a powerful champion for beer drinkers and pub-goers on issues as diverse as tax on beer, competition in the beer and pub industry and protecting the future of pubs as essential community amenities and part of the British way of life. We have thousands of volunteers within 200 local branches who work tirelessly to further our aims. Our dedicated volunteers run 200 beer festivals every year, including our flagship event, the Great British Beer Festival in London and we publish various leading books about beer and pubs including the market-leading Good Beer Guide.
Trading Sales & Marketing Officer
Closing Date: 04 Dec 2017
Location: St Albans, Hertfordshire – 18 minutes by train from London, St Pancras
Salary: From 24,700 pa depending on experience
Benefits: Contributory pension scheme, 32 days annual leave including statutory days, plus additional Christmas closure days. Health and Staff Reward schemes.
Download Job Advert: Download Job Advert Download
CAMRA is a not-for-profit consumer group with over 180,000 members that has been operating since 1971. Our vision is to have quality real ale and thriving pubs in every community. We are a volunteer-led organisation, with a small, enthusiastic and committed staff team of almost 50 people working at our head office in St. Albans where this role will be based.
- We are independent and our policies and campaigning objectives are set by our membership.
- CAMRA's decision-making process is wholly independent of any commercial companies or other organisations.
- We are not-for-profit and all proceeds are put back into achieving our campaigning objectives.
- We are consumers. We have no commercial interests in pub or brewery ownership or management.
- We are non-party political.
The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) is looking for a motivated, organised and creative Trading Sales & Marketing Officer to work within its successful Publications & Trading department. Reporting to the Head of Trading, the Sales & Marketing Officer will be responsible for providing sales and marketing support to the Publications department for all new CAMRA Books publications, its backlist and also for a small but developing range of non-book merchandise which is to become a more significant part of CAMRA's trading operations.
The successful candidate will benefit from varied and interesting experience working in a small but busy department, dealing with the sales and marketing of a diverse range of beer and pub guides and reference books which illustrate the exciting beer revolution taking place in Britain and around the world. In addition, there will be the opportunity to directly develop and grow sales of CAMRA's range of merchandise through its online shop, at beer festivals and elsewhere.
- Working to maximize sales of CAMRA publications via CAMRA's online shop and through CAMRA branches. This will require the development and implementation of special promotions and the production of physical and digital communications promoting CAMRA publications.
- Working to maximize sales of CAMRA Books through the book trade. This will require the supply of timely and accurate title information to the trade, liaison with CAMRA's distribution partner and third-party sales force, the circulation of sales materials, stock management and reporting on on-going trade sales performance.
- Working alongside the Head of Trading to expand CAMRA's range of non-book merchandise, such as branded clothing, gift items and other consumer goods.
- Manage and develop sales of CAMRA merchandise through the CAMRA shop and via CAMRA beer festivals and other events.
- Manage and develop a programme of physical and digital mailings to members, customers, publicans and external organisations.
- Produce marketing plans for new CAMRA Books titles, key backlist titles and merchandise and manage the marketing budgets.
- Develop new sales plans and strategies and explore new sales avenues and opportunities.
- Liaise with designers to produce sales and promotional materials for CAMRA publications and merchandise and work with suppliers to get materials printed and distributed.
- Attend key external and internal events to report on, promote and sell CAMRA publications.
- Explore sponsorship and other opportunities for the commercial support of new titles.
- Provide sales figures and market analysis for sales meetings, management reports and to inform strategic planning. This will involve working both with trade figures and internal figures from a variety of direct sales channels.
- Provide active support for and grow CAMRA's direct sales to a variety of non-book trade wholesale customers including breweries, pub chains, specialist retailers (online and bricks & mortar), and other one-off special sales. This will require proactive promotion to these outlets, pursuit of orders, negotiation of special sales terms in conjunction with the Head of Trading, circulation of up-to-date order forms and price lists, and the development of new ordering systems and processes.
- Provide CAMRA branches nationwide with the opportunity to sell CAMRA publications at a variety of events. This will require liaising with event organisers and the production of associated promotional materials (including some bespoke items of POS) and the management of CAMRA's internal order forms.
- Assist CAMRA volunteers in the set-up and management of the CAMRA shop at the Great British Beer Festival. This includes arranging author signings and special price promotions, producing of POS materials, arranging books and product displays and responsibility for product promotions online and in print in advance of and at the event.
- Highly numerate and confident in compiling and presenting sales data/analysis
- Has a commercial and strategic outlook
- Good computing skills and proficient in Excel
- Experience of running physical and digital e-mail campaigns
- Highly organised and well motivated
- Creative and able to see ideas through to completion
- Can use own initiative to pursue new ideas and opportunities
- Can manage a varied workload and deliver to schedule
- Capable of taking on various tasks and responsibilities and of managing own
- Has experience delivering complex communications and logistics projects
- Experience of digital communications including online and through social media
- Confident manner and the ability to get on well with people at all levels
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Works well under pressure
- Is flexible and a good team player
- Willingness to take on routine tasks within the department as and when required
- Experience managing consumer and B2B mailings
- Demonstrable relevant experience from a sales and marketing role within the
- Experience of working with book sales reps
- Experience of using book-trade sales reporting systems
- Experience of using website platforms to create and edit page content
- Experience of developing and/or selling digital publications
- Experience of SEO and SEM
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Knowledge of the beer and pubs industry
- Experience of designing marketing materials (using Word or InDesign)
How to apply:
To apply for this role please submit to (email@example.com);
- An up to date CV accompanied by a brief covering letter illustrating how you meet the requirements laid out in the Role Profile
- The Equal Opportunities form, which can be accessed at http://www.camra.org.uk/equal-opportunities-policy should also be completed and returned.
Closing date for applications:Monday 4th December 2017 at 9am.
Interviews will be held on:Week commencing 4th December 2017