Information for Councillors
CAMRA wants to work with local Councillors to launch campaigns in your Ward to protect valued community pubs.
Every week 21 pubs close their doors forever - and weak planning laws are forcing valuable pubs to close behind the backs of the community.
However new laws are in our favour - and we now have the valuable opportunity to work together to protect our local pubs.
Why campaign to protect pubs:
- Pub campaigning can be used as a way to start and maintain a conversation with ward members
- You can become the leader of your own community and a champion of community pubs in your Ward
- It is a good opportunity to gain positive press coverage for your work in the ward
- Pub campaigning allows you to connect with other local groups and members of the community
- Pubs listed as 'Assets of Community Value' with your local Council are automatically granted additional planning protection and you will be consulted if your pub comes under threat - therefore giving you greater powers over issues that matter to communities.
- ACVs can be used as material planning consideration in planning applications – so you could be helping keep pubs at the heart of communities
How CAMRA can support you:
- Contact CAMRA's Campaigns team for advice on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put you in contact with your local CAMRA Branch and a representative who could look to attend Ward Meetings to speak about CAMRA's campaign
- Provide you with a template press release to promote the work you are doing in the local press
- Provide you with campaigning material that is relevant to your campaign. We have other resources available at: www.camra.org.uk/listyourlocal