CAMRA campaigns in Northern Ireland
CAMRA has been campaigning for 35 years in Northern Ireland and would like to see more action to support Northern Ireland's pubs and to celebrate and promote Northern Ireland's breweries.
Northern Ireland has:
- 1,200 pubs
- 27 independent breweries
Beer and pubs are close to the hearts of many voters in Northern Ireland. Following CAMRA's election campaign, 21 candidates support our Manifesto for Northern Ireland, 10 of whom were elected into the Assembly.
Our key asks for the new Northern Ireland Assembly are as follows:
- To support breweries with the introduction of a new category to the current licensing laws which would permit small brewers to apply for a license to "sell at source" and have the option to apply for occasional extensions to sell their products at local events.
- To encourage global brewers to voluntarily allow pubs to offer a guest beer option in their contracts to ensure that local brewers have access to the market
- To support struggling pubs by extending Small Business Rate Relief and investigate ways to extend it so that more pubs can benefit
- To introduce an advisory service, along with the provision of grants and loans to support people to take over their local pub and keep it at the heart of the community
- To strengthen planning laws so that permission is always needed before a pub can be demolished.
CAMRA recently hosted its first ever Reception in Stormont